Monday, September 11, 2017

100 up!

Not Phoenix Park in Dublin, a bit less glamorous but a nice little hilly park nonetheless. This one is in Runcorn in an area of land where nature has taken over from the post industrial mess. The Parkrun goes twice round the park and along the towpath of the Bridgwater Canal and as you can see this was my 100th so I should be getting a t-shirt at some point. Quite pleased with 4th place in 21.29.

Nice party venue!
The parkrun website instructed me to park in the grounds of Norton Priory Museum which I did being a good citizen. It was a wet morning and I parked up and jogged down to the start. On the way back the rain was pelting down so I jumped in the car and was off, barely taking a glance at the entrance to the museum. But return we must as this is home to what are described as the most extensive monastic remains in Northern Britain, not to mention the extensive 18th century walled garden. All of this history on Merseyside - who'd have thought it? This picture is of the Norman undercroft of the medieval abbey. It seems that this site was chosen as it was at the location where people regularly crossed the River Mersey (before the Runcorn bridge was built of course.) And I bet they charged a toll!!

No comments:

Post a Comment