Tuesday, May 3, 2016

Happy Parkrunners

Well tie me down!
Just eating my porridge on the back verandah and I looked up to see this huge fellow - I hadn't noticed him at first as his colouring blended in so well but he was about thirty yards away and standing about 5 and a half foot tall. He didn't seem in the least bit concerned about my interest in him and he carried on grazing for another twenty minutes or so before bouncing back into the forest. This is an Eastern Grey Kanga and they can reach 6 foot in height! The Western Reds are even bigger with the largest recorded standing 6' 9" tall.

Here's well up the field!
Parkrun this week was at Central Lakes, Caboolture, about an hour north of Brisbane. On the face of it not a bad course, right round a lake (undulating though) and then along a flat corridor of trees and shrubs to the turn and back. Only it wasn't as simple as that because it was already 22 degrees and with very high humidity and no wind the corridor that I mentioned was like a long greenhouse. I know that folks back home in the snow will have no sympathy but it was hard going. I came 4th, Vicky was 51st and we both won our age groups. Next week is my 50th park run - there's supposed to be a special '50 Parkrunner' t-shirt awarded but I've no idea how that works!


No comments:

Post a Comment