Monday, March 6, 2017

It's Hot Your Majesty

The big ship sails up the alley ally ooh!
View from the bedroom window this morning. Queen Mary 2 sails into Airlie Beach! It's the biggest ocean going liner in the world and Cunard's flagship. This information I was fairly familiar with but I had no idea it was built in France! It dropped anchor just after dawn on a hot sultry day - I bet they have some good aircon though. Not many of the passengers seem to come into town and they mostly seem to jump onto little boats heading for the Whitsunday Islands.

This chart shows what we're up against. It's only 32 degrees but the humidity makes it seem much hotter - at 2 pm, as you'll see, the 'real feel' is 42 degrees. This is bit like windchill in reverse. Still Thursday is looking good - only 27 and a bit of rain - sounds like heaven!! I set off on my early morning run a bit later than usual, 6.15 am hasn't been too bad. but a 6.45 am start means that by the time I get back an hour later I'm struggling with the heat and even after a cold shower I'm still sweating.


Speedy Vicky conquers the rain in her 50 Parkruns t-shirt!
Shouldn't really grumble as the Parkrun on Saturday was bliss - pouring rain cooled us all down (a bit!) Just going back to "The big ship sails up the alley alley ooh.' I remember singing this nearly 60 years ago, I don't know how widespread the rhyme was but it was a playground song that originated in Salford near Manchester and the 'alley, alley ooh' was the Manchester Ship Canal. The huge ocean going ships used to sail almost into the middle of Manchester and must have towered over the terraces houses that backed onto the canal.

No comments:

Post a Comment